It is located at north of Maldonado's capital, around 15 km from the city capital (Maldonado).
It has a population of 24,771 inhabitants.
It is an important agricultural and craft production city in the region.
The city of San Carlos was the first village of the interior of the country and was founded in 1763 by Spanish General and Governor, Don Pedro de Cevallos, in his colonization capaign in the American Continent. It name comes from Spain King, Carlos III de Borbón, by initiative of the founder.
San Carlos, the most important defender bastion of the region of the East, because of it nearness with Brazil, was built in valuable agricultural products, purveyor of the east and south of Uruguay.
It is the only town in the world founded by Portuguese people of the Islands outside their far-flung lands.
It is the only population in River Plate that the English could not conquer in their invations, being rejected on the historical combat of November 7th, 1806, which deserved the recognition of the King when giving the coat of arms of "Faithful and reconquerer", the same as Montevideo.
Source: Maldonado County