The origins of Salto city date from the end of the XVII Century. The date November 8th of 1756 is recognized as the founding day of this capital. The then Governor of Montevideo, Don José Joaquín de Viana, built a fort to lodge 400 dragons which constituted the first inhabitants of the new settlement.
Salto is called after the many, quaint waterfalls caused by the Uruguay river, formerly called, by natives, in Guaraní ITU, which means reefs.
On July 8th, 1863, by decreet of President P. Berro, the village of Salto was promoted to the category of City.
One of the main attractions of Salto are, without a shadow of a doubt, the Banks of the Uruguay river. Many kilometres of riverwalk join, in the present, Salto Chico (in the North of the city) to Arenitas Blancas (in the South).
This place has many beauties where nature and man are merged. The dusks are really wonderful.
Source: Salto City Council