It is located on the west of the state, 23 km from Maldonado City.
It has a population of 7,098 inhabitants.
The first Portuguese sailors when seeing the hill, they camped there with the loads of sugar of the sugar can mills. This name is repeated in almos all the American Continent.
Pan de Azúcar was founded in 1874 by Félix de Lizarza and a group of neighbours of San Carlos. Presitge figures of business and commercial fields and intellectual activities joined this town in their way to Montevideo, which had many possibilities and because it embraced a great hope for growth and expansion, which was born in a region not only with panoramical beauty but also placed in an area of fertile earth for production, and which great mineral wealth.
Pan de Azúcar was born as a town during the government of Dr. José E. Ellauri in the year 1874. Before that, there was in the area some noble population. But the decision of founding a town was officialy decalred when the owner of these lands, Don Joaquín C. Márquez authorize before a notary public, Don Félix de Lizarra (his agent in this land), to register, give possesion of the land and do all necessary proceedings to legitimate the delivery to the nobles.
Source: Maldonado County